Report: Ronaldo convinced James to snub Chelsea
A conversation with Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo convinced midfielder James Rodriguez to turn down the advances of Chelsea, according to a report in the Colombian press.
The future of the Colombia international has become the subject of widespread conjecture this season, with many expecting the 25-year-old to force a move away from the club in the January transfer window.
However, despite a lack of regular first-team football, Rodriguez has rejected a reported £78 million transfer to Chelsea.
And, according to Confidencial Colombia, a conversation between Ronaldo and James was the deciding factor in the midfielder's decision to stay and fight for a place in Zinedine Zidane's starting XI.
Speaking to the assembled press after his side's 3-0 victory over Sevilla in the Copa del Rey, James said: "We all go through bad moments, but a new year starts for me now.
"I am staying in Madrid."
James has made 18 appearances in all competitions this season, bagging four goals in the process.
- Man United duo claim December awards
- Conte claims third straight MOTM gong
- Ranieri: Kante better suited to Leicester
- Pogba: Liverpool game bigger than Manchester derby
- Solinas keen on Pirates post
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying draw
- Schneiderlin completes Toffees switch
- Zlatan: I conquered EPL in three months
- Arsenal's French trio extend deals
- Bilic: Payet refusing to play for West Ham